I watch a lot of games from the regulars we play with.
I tend to stick to the side on launch that Alpha stays on, except when that's where we all are. Then I head to the non-rocket end of the map to make sure we're not going to get buttfcked.
I have and intuitive sense of where to go and what to do....and most of the time, it corresponds to where the high scorers go. But watching you guys really keeps my head in check about what I need to do and where I can improve. Little tips, tricks, habits etc, that the veteran players have rub off onto me if they seem effective.
In cod4, I learned via youtube....switch to secondary if out of ammo, lay down to reload, use cover, different sightlines, routes, etc....
I find there are areas for improvement.
1. Lag compensation. Play smarter and slower when connection sucks.
2. Anxiousness. I need to learn patience....not feeling compelled to chase chase chase. I need to allow some people to come to me, or even just get away if I don't have an ideal shot.
3. field of view. Players see a lot less peripherally than I think they do. This goes with the above statement. I get all trigger happy and take less than ideal shots.
4. Routes. I had solid routes on cod4 and mw2. I have strayed from that in bo, and it hasn't been beneficial. I know good routes, but don't stick to them. Again, anxiousness.
5. Aim. This is lag dependent most of the time....but I have sh1t accuracy. Tried all sensitivities, but connections are what dictate my ability to hit a target....so I spray a lot. And die a lot spraying.
I probably watch Alpha\s games the most. Seeing how someone can go 20-2, 24-4, 16-0 etc with such high frequency begs attention.
I can tell that his connection is really good....even though I know that theater doesn't tell the whole story. So many people being killed before returning any fire is far too reminiscient of how things look from my end. Many of his kills look like my killcams....but that doesn't take away from the broader lessons I pick up. Even with a good connection, stupidity will get you killed.
So, mostly, I watch people's games to bring up my game IQ....and hopefully everything will fall into place.